For this week's blog we have been assigned
the task of discussing web cam spying. Should it be illegal if so what should
the punishment be? How much privacy should one expect in a public place?
I think recording a person without
there knowledge should definitely be illegal. Using a web cam to view a person
without their knowledge is a form of voyeurism. I know I would feel completely
violated if it happened to me. In the book it brings up a school loaning
laptops to kids. The laptops had security software to take photos in case of
theft. The laptops ended up taking over 66,000 photos of students. How would you
feel if this was your child? Why was the software taking photos if the laptop
was not reported stolen? What is the difference between spying on someone
through their bedroom window or on their web cam?
It is my opinion that punishment for
cyber voyeurism should be similar that of a peeping tom or a more traditional voyeur.
When you participate in crimes of this nature weather you mean to or not you
are taking away a since of security. You are going into an individual's private
space uninvited and striping away their since of safety. You are threatening there
since of control in their own home.
I feel a little differently about
being recorded in a public place. If you are in a public place your expectation
of privacy is limited. Anyone can see what you are doing and who you are with.
I don't think it is OK to stalk someone or hound them every time they come out
of a door but if you happen to be caught in a photo or a video by chance I
don't see a major issue with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment